Bienvenue!

Welcome to my blog about my journey through this book and it's challenges. It's a simple exercise, but it's good for me. I hope you enjoy the blips and slips and funny moments. You may even learn a thing or two too!



Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Week 16--"Without Packaging" Tuesday Morning

Time to reflect:  It is now four months into this journey on Making a Difference.  I've learned that many of these tasks are intrinsic, several are simple ways of thinking differently about this world.  If I were to grade my progress for last week's charge, Low Media, I would give myself a B-.  I only read half of the novel, losing interest after a whirlwind reading evening.  I did watch some TV--Man Vs. Wild--so interesting!  I also was on the computer daily; nowadays, it's difficult NOT to be "connected." 

This week's card reads, "Without Packaging."  "Reduce the amount of packaging you purchase and throw away by buying as many items as you can without packaging in the first place.  Are there packageless alternatives to some of the packaged foods you consume?  Can you buy some of your staples in bulk?  Some shampoos and soaps are available in refillable bottles.  If you can't avoid cardboard or plastic packaging, see if some of it can't be saved and reused for something else, such as children's art supplies."

Honestly, this task is something we already practice regularly at our home; we buy in bulk our staples--veggies, chicken, oatmeal, TP and paper towels.  Thank goodness for Sam's and COSTCO!  Reading this task reminds me of my Mom; I will never forget her insistence while growing up that we "deconstruct" every cardboard box and paper bag so that it would fit neatly in the trash can.  She would get so frustrated if we threw a cardboard coke box into a freshly lined trashcan.  We'd have to go and pick it out and flatten it and put in into the trash bin so it allowed room for the rest of the rubbage.  To this day, I still have to make myself flatten cardboard and compact trash; I admit I don't practice this habit regularly because it takes more time.  In the grand scheme of things, as Mom always said, "A stitch in time saves nine later on."

My goal this week:  to clear out and compact the boxes piled in the garage, hampering walking room and to recycle the endless plastic medication bottles I've saved with the intention of recycling.  Best to do something about it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment