Bienvenue!

Welcome to my blog about my journey through this book and it's challenges. It's a simple exercise, but it's good for me. I hope you enjoy the blips and slips and funny moments. You may even learn a thing or two too!



Saturday, August 13, 2011

Week 32--Spend Less--Saturday Morning

Ah, yes, disappointment has a catalytic way of causing you to spend more money than necessary.  Take last evening--my sister and I had planned to attend a "Summer Nights" movie at the art museum.  It was a beautiful evening--we were so excited to watch To Catch a Thief on the big screen, sitting on the lush lawn of the amphitheatre terraces on a glorious Friday night.  However, apparently we should have purchased tickets beforehand because it was sold out when we arrived--Bummer!

So what were we to do?  My husband was probably asleep as he had a rough work week, her husband had a friend coming over to play Call of Duty and we were all dressed up (not literally) with no where to go.  What did we decide upon?  After much marinating on the topic, we ended up getting Starbucks and shopping at Wal-Mart for necessities we didn't buy during the weekly shop.  What a juxtaposition...from the IMA movie to Wal-Mart perusing. 

And let me tell you, perusing Wal-Mart at 9pm on a Friday night was just about as interesting as watching a drama.  Oh the people, the myriad of people going about their business.  We encountered lots of mom's lugging their children along, trying to keep a lid on the screaming and crying; an employee (who had such a mundane expression on his face) was pulling a loading cart with a wheel that squeaked, nay, moaned this high pitched shrill every couple seconds and he was unaffected.  You could hear it several aisles over and it was like nails on a chalkboard. 

We were approached by what I guessed as a European man who looked like he was transplanted from a Motley Crue video with quite the salt-and-pepper wavy mullet.  My sis and I were contemplating with animated verbal fluency which dark chocolate bars to buy and weighing the calorie options when this man looked at me and said, "Accent?" 
I must have looked totally confused (because he had an accent) but I said, "No, I'm from here." 
"No, where are you from, you have an accent?" 
"Indiana." 
"Oh, you're from here." 
"Yes, yes I am." 
Odd, very odd encounter...

At the end of our Wal-Mart journey, I exited the store with three photo mats and a $5 movie.  My sister left with cooking oil and a canary yellow chip-and-dip bowl that was on clearance.  So much for spending less yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment