Bienvenue!

Welcome to my blog about my journey through this book and it's challenges. It's a simple exercise, but it's good for me. I hope you enjoy the blips and slips and funny moments. You may even learn a thing or two too!



Monday, August 22, 2011

Week 34--"Massage Me, Massage You"--Monday Morning

Today is my birthday; I don't feel any different this year than last, with perhaps the feeling that my body is slowly deteriorating at a cellular level--you know: crow's feet, achy joints, and puffy morning eyes.  But I'm not upset about it; it's the cycle of life. I bet this sounds rather depressing but it's not intended that way, it's merely a verbal reflection of the feelings of the moment--transitory and fleeting...

I'm going to like this week's task:  Massage Me, Massage You:  "Learn how to give and receive a massage.  Adult education programs often teach massage classes, or check out bulletin boards at holistic health-oriented stores and centers.  Knowing how to give a good massage is a real gift, and receiving one is pretty close to achieving a state of nirvana.  It's amazing how healing a little touch can be."

I own a massage table; I use it sometimes for private clients when I'm personal training.  It's useful for both massaging sore muscles but good for stretching post workout.  With my educational background in exercise science, I would say I'm pretty good at massage--however, I would like to learn the "official" massage strokes for the different types of massage--Swedish, Deep tissue, etc. 

I checked out a few massage technique books at the store, and most of that is what I already do.  I bet the best education is hands on--no pun intended.  There's a massage school downtown, and I checked into it as a way to enhance my professional credentials but it is more expensive than anticipated and its probably not a good idea for me to be a full-time massage therapist having had four surgeries on my right arm.  I would need massage after work!

I will say that knowing how to give good massages makes you the most sought after person at a family gathering.  Suddenly everyone wants a shoulder massage after dinner so they can relax because "no one else is good at it."  That makes me feel good.  I think I will treat myself to a massage today for my birthday...I bet I haven't had one in over a year!

No comments:

Post a Comment