Bienvenue!

Welcome to my blog about my journey through this book and it's challenges. It's a simple exercise, but it's good for me. I hope you enjoy the blips and slips and funny moments. You may even learn a thing or two too!



Thursday, February 3, 2011

Week 5--Thursday 2/3/11

"Learn to say, 'I'm sorry.' Learn to mean it.  Learn when to say and use it."


I learned a use for "I'm sorry" that I don't think is often...useful, necessary or edifying.  Several times throughout my day, either I or someone else said "sorry" but didn't really do anything wrong.  I don't think we should apologize for being ourselves.  Are we all just petrified of being harped upon?  Speaking up? Sharing what's on our mind?  Afraid we'll take flack for it or be made fun of? Perhaps...


For instance, after lunch at a local restaurant, my friend said, "I'm sorry, but I will not walk on that ice sheet called a sidewalk; please come round and pick me up!"  I tried to help her along, encourage her that she would be fine...it's just ice (3 inches thick).  I think she was really afraid of falling--as she should be--it's a winter wonderland outside.  However, she didn't need to apologize to me; she was right...so I picked her up at the door and thanked the Lord I didn't fall on my own toosh in 3 inch heels.


Here's another example--I apologized for being...happy.  I was happy today--I noticed I was happy today--which in and of itself is another blog entry entirely...but I digress.  Why was I happy?  I was happy because I was laughing at an ironic situation--and yet I apologized for my humorous observances.  Why did I feel obliged to apologize for my thoughts on the subject?  I didn't do anything, I was merely an observer to an ironic, humorous, drama-laden situation.  And it was funny.


I unnecessarily say "I'm sorry" way too often; I don't like that about myself.  I have made an effort not to say it so often.  Perhaps I should change my environment if it's that often...another blog entry and digression.  I notice I say it when I'm tired, frustrated, or feel obligated to: perform, maintain a semblance of "togetherness", be professional, strive for perfection, be the smiley one, be the one keeping it together, or be the strong one.  But you know what?  I don't need to apologize. If I'm tired, frustrated, sad, happy, weak, or whatever...I just need to feel the way I feel, recognize it, avoid hurting anyone else while in a  funk--then move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment