Bienvenue!

Welcome to my blog about my journey through this book and it's challenges. It's a simple exercise, but it's good for me. I hope you enjoy the blips and slips and funny moments. You may even learn a thing or two too!



Monday, May 9, 2011

Week 19--"Read & Respond"--Monday Evening

I called my husband from work today to ask him to pick a card for this, our 19th week into the challenge, because I forgot to do it yesterday!  He, of course, was wonderful and reminded me he had picked a card as I sat down, exhausted from the day, to check e-mail tonite.

Read and Respond.  "Stay tuned to what's going on in the world (and in the many subcultures of the world that interest you) through newsletters, periodicals, newspapers, and all that other printed matters, and now online matter.  But don't just consume all this gray matter with your gray matter, respond!  Consuming pounds (or megabytes) of print can be pacifying to the point of inertia, so try to keep the fine line between highly stimulating and overwhelming in check.  And write back through letters to the editors, letters directly to journalists, and maybe even through writing your own article on a topic of interest.  Your own gray matter matters and deserves to be in print."

I used to love reading the Shelbyville News, our daily newspaper from my hometown.  It's almost unheard of seeing a newspaper rolled up lying in the front door anymore these days.  Now that I think of it, I can't remember seeing a rolled-up newspaper...mostly I see them laying flay as a pancake in the shelves next to the Starbucks checkout line.  I think I delivered newspapers as a kid for a fleeting moment until my Mom realized it would be way too much added stress to the family routine.  I thank her for that decision!

Not sure what I will do yet this week to "read & respond"...until then, here's the link to the Shelbvyille News...online:  The Shelbyville News

No comments:

Post a Comment