Bienvenue!

Welcome to my blog about my journey through this book and it's challenges. It's a simple exercise, but it's good for me. I hope you enjoy the blips and slips and funny moments. You may even learn a thing or two too!



Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Week 21--Know Your Limits--Wednesday Night

We are preparing for the impending swath of  thunderstorms that will soon sweep across central Indiana.  Until then, I have a few things to do...like write about Socrates' aphorism, "Know thyself."  How about, "Know thy limits."?  Doesn't have quite the ring to it, don't you think? 

Day four was fraught with learning some family-tinged emotional limits.  No need to worry--I am not going to turn this entry into an outpouring of my childhood related moments of angst.  However, today's events shined the bright, sometimes harsh light of reality on the facade of family drama--and how I deal with it.  Today's emotions included feeling: helpless, helpful, needed, annoyed, ambivalent, angry, sad, loved, happy, grateful and humbled.  Wine was most definitely on the dinner menu.

Did I gain insight into my emotional limits?  Yes, yes I did.  I also heartily expressed (in an attempted assertive means) to share with a close family member that I had reached my limits.  It went over better than I expected...and why?  Because I truly was not angry with this person, I was tired, sad, exhausted, and needed time to reflect--I could no longer listen and take in the words that were causing me pain and irritation.  Thankfully there was mutual understanding and we "took five" and parted well.   

I would never want to go into battle with my own family members as one might think of the word "battle"; however, over the years I have learned (not always easily) that battling to maintain your boundries is not only positive in the long run, it's vital to living well and loving others.

No comments:

Post a Comment