Bienvenue!

Welcome to my blog about my journey through this book and it's challenges. It's a simple exercise, but it's good for me. I hope you enjoy the blips and slips and funny moments. You may even learn a thing or two too!



Monday, January 3, 2011

Let the Journey Begin...52 Ways to Make a Difference in 2011

Readers, (if there are any :)

I cleaned this past New Year's Day, 2011; yes, cleaned.  I have an office which houses, along with every college textbook and notebook to boot, a load of notecards, electronic gadgets, etc. which has piled up these past few years in our home. 

I found a deck of cards; not a deck of playing cards, but a deck of cards with a purpose.  52 Ways to Make a Difference, by Lynn Gordon.  Essentially, it's a book in a box.   Kudos to Ms. Gordon; the card deck is a novel way to carry a piece of wisdom with you.  These cute, unassuming cards each have a short word phrase listed on one side above a cute picture.  The phrase and photo represent a "task" explained on the flip side of the card.  I believe the purpose of these cards is to provoke the reader to become more mindful--to stop and think about the "little things" one can do to help their fellow man--or even themselves.  So, in essence, this blog will be a journal of my journey to become more mindful in 2011--to think of others,  and I hope, to teach myself something in the doing.

I'm not the New Year's resolution type, however, since I've apparently had these cards for who knows how many years, buried under CD cases, books and file boxes, it's time they go to use.  And they will only serve a purpose if I put the "time, effort and optimism" into using them, as suggested by the author.

Therefore, I plan to pick a card (have my husband randomly draw a card each Sunday) and make it my personal goal to do whatever the card's task assigns me within that week.  Yes, it's a bit like the widely popular, Julie & Julia book heroine's project of recent fame, but not nearly as lofty (I'm not a gourmet as my husband will tell you :). 

Week 1:  January 2nd, 2011: Piggyback Errands:  "If you have to run errands, then see if you can help a neighbor or friend by offering to run an errand for them."  My twist--to see if I can efficiently run errands and not drive all over hell's half acre...gas is not cheap at the moment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment