Bienvenue!

Welcome to my blog about my journey through this book and it's challenges. It's a simple exercise, but it's good for me. I hope you enjoy the blips and slips and funny moments. You may even learn a thing or two too!



Friday, January 28, 2011

Week 4--Friday Evening 1/28/11

I asked a rhetorical question yesterday about why patience is hailed as a virtue.  A reader of this blog offered some insight:  Reference Romans 5:3-5, James 1:4, 2 and Peter 1:5-8:  "Patience is hupomone in Greek and her sister is macrothemia – long suffering, an outflowing of love,  which is the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22).  Patience deals with situations and long suffering deals with people." 

I thought, what is the definition of a "virtue?"  A virtue is, according to dictionary.com: "moral excellence; goodness; righteousness; a good or admirable quality or property."  OK, what then, is the definition of a "moral?"  A moral is: "founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom." 

If patience deals with situations, and having strong patience makes you a more moral, virtuous person, does that mean you are more likely to make situational decisions based upon what is principally "right" versus customarily "right?"  I wonder, were movers and shakers in history characteristically patient people? Well, perhaps not...at some point, the long suffering--patience, of the crowd at the Bastille obviously passed the tipping point.

I fear I am thinking way too deeply for a Friday night...oh, by the way:  the Patience Award today goes to the guy at the fast  food joint who kindly gave me a free thickburger with my whopper coupon--after a hearty laugh :)

No comments:

Post a Comment